Friday, May 14, 2010

The Inheritance Cycle

The basics:
  1. Eragon-503 pages
  2. Eldest-704 pages
  3. Brisingr-763 pages
  4. ???
Several years ago, before I discovered Christopher Paolini's series of books, DH and I watched the movie, Eragon. We thought it was based on a role play type video game and the movie seemed okay. Now that I've read the books, the movie was really horrible. How can you make a movie when the whole story hasn't even been written yet?
The Inheritance Cycle* will be a series of four books, when the final volume is published. At this time, there is not any advanced info on when that will be--that I could find.

This is an epic story about a boy who finds a dragon's egg, becomes a Dragon Rider and must unite the various races, rescue the dragons and save the world.
Each volume is roughly the size of carry-on luggage, but the storytelling is dynamic and I didn't really mind. The characters are engaging, and the descriptive passages were interesting. There are enough subplots to justify the length--most of the time. I really enjoyed how he gives voice to the dragons' thoughts (book 3). In fact, I really enjoy the author's writing style, as it doesn't draw attention to itself, but merely supports the story.
I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

In our library, this series is in the YA section--probably because of the age of the main character. However, if you could give books a rating in the same way as movies, I'd have to rate these "R". There is a significant amount of carnage and gore (The world is engulfed in war and they are books about dragons, after all.)

*I'm including the links for informational purposes. I have not explored either site (except to look for a release date for book 4) and don't know what they contain. I can read epic tomes, but I don't have time to immerse myself in the online cult-like following of these various series. A person could make a career out of The Lord of the Rings culture alone.

PS-There will be a stamp.