Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Wickit Chronicles


The basics:
  1. Ely Plot-128 pages
  2. Fen Gold-128 pages
  3. Ice Road-136 pages
  4. Witch's Bell-128 pages
Joan Lennon is an author from across The Pond, and our library recently added her Wickit Chronicles to their shelf. So, of course, I had to read them. I was not disappointed. This is a fun and simple series that would tempt even reluctant readers. Each book contains one adventure of Pip, a boy from a small monastery in the Fen, and his living gargoyle companion, Perfect. The Fen makes for a very unique setting. Keeping to a single story line makes it very easy for beginning readers to follow, yet the books are exciting enough to hold their interest. The drama and danger remain innocent and I would not have a problem with my girls reading these.
I am impressed with the author's ability to stick to such a consistent page count. That takes some disciplined editing. I am looking forward to reading some of her other books.

Sorry, no stamp for this one.