Friday, February 26, 2010

Rapunzel's Revenge

One of the great joys of attempting to write for children is reading in the market. This past weekend, I spent the afternoon curled up with the cats and a pile of books. One of them (the books, not the cats) was Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale. Graphic novels/Manga books are pretty new to me, so I don't have much experience for comparison. However, it exceeded my expectations.
It is a delightful melding of contemporary, Old West, and fairy tales you only thought you knew, with a dab of sarcasm behind the ears.
I tend to read faster than I should, so I loved how the illustrations forced me to slow down and immerse myself in the telling of the story. If you glossed over them, you missed half of the tale. I suspect that is the nature of graphic novels. The pictures are just as important as the text. You can't have one without the other.
I can't wait to read the sequel, Calamity Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment