Thursday, February 25, 2010

Trimming the Fat

A few weeks ago, I started posting some writing prompts on the Writer's Workshop message board of AQ. I am going start posting some of them here along with other writing exercise ideas. If you have the inclination to do so, take them home and work on them. See what you can create with them.

My daughter and I read Beverly Cleary's Strider as a school assignment. (I try to read everything they have to read.) In the book, Leigh has to write an essay using only nouns and verbs. No articles, adverbs, or adjectives allowed.
I also found that it was very difficult to use linking verbs (is, was, were, etc) without also adding adjectives or adverbs.

Here is my first attempt:

Day Recounted

Alarm glared. Sun blared. Day interrupted. Coffee fried. Eggs brewed. She scrambled. Taxi dodged. Puddle greeted. Meeting avoided. Job fled. Stomach rebelled. She lost. Fists erupted. Screams rocked. Music pounded. Cookies melted. Ice cream disappeared. She binged. Mail delivered. Uncle shocked. Will revealed. Heir surprised. Night descended. She survived.


Now it's your turn. Try it!

1 comment: