Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Alexander Rapsnatty and the Ground Squirrel War

Here is a portion of my latest children's story (and pipe dream picture book). What you need to know:

When his father is deployed, overzealous Alexander Rapsnatty is left to guard the home front under the watchful eye of a mother who is likely more understanding than he suspects.

At noon, on the second day of my leave from basic training, the Ground Squirrels declared war. They stole the hot dog right off my plate during our picnic and dragged it down into their hole. Mom didn’t believe me. She said I probably fed it to the dog, and no, I wasn’t getting any apple pie.

The next day, I chased two Ground Squirrels with the lawn mower. That wasn’t the best plan of attack. They were faster than I expected. Mom said that the mower wasn’t an assault vehicle and I was going to have to buy new flowers with my allowance.
What follows is an escalating battle that ends with Al landing in the brig and finding a surprising solution to the conflict.


Parts of this story are based on personal experience, which I will categorically deny if questioned.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, well now we know who chased the ground squirrels with a mower! Go 'head -- you can deny that one all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Love his last name - very catchy!

    Will we see more? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you see more?

    Hopefully in published form! But, if not, then I'll post the rest of it here when I'm tired of rejection letters. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. {{I'll post the rest of it here when I'm tired of rejection letters. ;)}}

    We will have none of that talk!!!

    ReplyDelete