Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Red Wing--Guest post

The following is a post provided by JLC (aka DoodlePaws), 11 year old author, graphic novelist, and first born daughter.

Red Wing, an Eastern Red Bat in the barn, watched what happened every day. The men working on the tractors, the sparrows building mud nests on the ceilings, the clatter of tools; but one thing for sure, he was extremely bored with it. The only stuff he could do was stare, doze, doze and stare. His sister, Gigi, however, was finding all sorts of things to do. She fluttered around the barn, off walls, through piles of hay, weaving in and out of lattice. But of course, Red Wing was bored with that too.
“I get no cure for boredom these days.” He said. “I know that because every day is absolutely the same. Not a single scrap of new life. Curtain rods!” He’d always think.
Gigi always had the same answer to that.
“Yeah, issues. But sadly I can’t find a cure for your feelings. You spice it up yourself.
Sometimes beating boredom is harder than it looks, isn’t it? When it comes to Red Wing’s boredom, people aren’t kidding when they say that.”
“I don’t know how long I can last,” thought Red Wing.
The tractors, sparrows, tools and Gigi went on doing ordinary stuff.
“I think I’m gonna die!” Red Wing yelled.
When he couldn’t stand it anymore, he flew down and screamed at it all:
“Every day’s so boring, it’s outrageous.”
But of course, all the people could hear was squeaking.
“I’m outta here! Aren’t you listening to me?”
Still no answer. Maybe Gigi was right after all. So Red Wing decided that he would have to leave things the way they are. He told Gigi she was right, which made her smile. Even Red Wing smiled. This was going to be a better day than he expected.
“This barn is still great!” He said out loud.