Monday, March 29, 2010

Words to Avoid List

One of the pages of my writing notebook is dedicated to words and phrases that I am not-ever-under-any-circumstances-whatsoever allowed to use in my writing. Some of these avoid-at-all-costs items come from manuals and other instructional writing. Others reach out and slap me when I'm reading for fun. So far, the list isn't very long, but it's growing.
  • Got should only be used when you are trying to portray a character's ignorance, and only through dialogue. I've got to stop using it.
  • "The fact that is an especially debilitating expression. It should be revised out of every sentence in which it occurs." (Strunk & White, The Elements of Style)
  • It was (fill in the blank with an adjective) than he/she/they had ever seen/imagined-you practically trip over phrases like this in descriptive passages of fiction. "The castle was more beautiful than she could have dreamed." "The mountain was taller than anything he had ever seen." Each time I read them it jolts me out of the story and makes me want to holler at the author for being so lazy.
Do you have any words or phrases that you would edit out of a story if you could?