Friday, March 5, 2010

Fiction is a Lie

A dear friend of mine says that "What if" questions are all lies. She is a godly, Christian woman whom I respect deeply. And she is right. If it causes worry, doubt or a lack of faith in God's ability to protect and provide, then "what if" is most certainly a lie, and we need to crush it before it takes hold.

Which brings us to fiction (writing or reading). Yesterday, we looked at how all fiction is born of the question, "What if?". If we follow my friend's logic, all fiction is therefore a lie. Once again, she is correct. Magic, vampires, fairies and the like have no foundation in reality or fact. Do we then need to crush them like worry or doubt?

As a follower of Christ, that question doesn't have such an easy answer for me (but hang in there). In Sunday School, the 3rd & 4th graders and I are studying the types of things the Bible tells us we should think and speak about. (I hesitate to say I am teaching them because that is often not the case.) Phil. 4:8 says we should think about things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent and praiseworthy. I compared that to 8 gates our words need to pass before they are allowed to enter the house where we dwell. According to this verse, fiction doesn't even pass the first gate.

The class has also talked about how everything we do should bring glory to God (I Cor 10:31). That includes changing diapers and cleaning our rooms. Even the most menial tasks can bring honor to our Heavenly Father if they are done in His service and for others. That doesn't mean we have to sing the Hallelujah Chorus while on diaper duty. It does mean having the mind of a willing servant.

Just to make sure you have the same headache I have, let's add 2 Cor 10:5. "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ". I'm pretty sure Sauron and the One Ring fall into that category.

Take a deep breath. I'm not trying to shoot down the entire genre of fiction. We'll pick this up tomorrow. Right now, I need an aspirin.

2 comments:

  1. Fiction is used to teach as well as entertain, and Yeshua uses parables (a form of fiction) to teach, wouldn't you say?

    I hate being bound. No where in the Torah does it say that we are forbidden to use our (God-given) imaginations.

    Can't wait to hear more...off to get an aspirin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continue . . . *smile*

    ReplyDelete