Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Newbery Medal

There are almost 400 books (I think it's something like 381--not that I counted) on the list of medal and honor recipients of the John Newbery Award. The award was initiated in 1922. Some quick calculations tell me that I have only read 54 of them, or a mere smear 14%. Only 22 of those were medal winners. I wonder if it's possible to read them all? And how long would it take?

For our next exercise, pick a Newbery book you haven't read yet and borrow it from the library (or better yet, find one your library doesn't have yet and donate it when you're done), and read it. Pay attention to the first sentence, the first paragraph and the book's special voice. Why do you think it won? What did that book contribute? Holler when you're finished and tell us what you thought.

For discussion, pick a favorite Newbery and share it with us. There is a convenient list on the ALA site, or Here on Wikipedia.
The girls and I all like The Bears on Hemlock Mountain by Alice Dalgliesh, particularly the audio version read by John McDonough. It is a delightful story that charmed its way into our family and stayed with us.