Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sedentary


A writer's job is inescapably sedentary. You read, write and edit sitting down...for hours...and days...in the same chair...watching the seasons change...

It will take a great deal of time to undo the damage of living with a knee injury for too long. However, I think I have found a solution that will help me get back in shape and allow me to keep up with reading (and restore blood flow to my rear). I've started listening to audio books on the treadmill. I know this is not a thunderous revelation. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I don't need the rhythm of music to keep me going, as I thought at first.

Now, if I only allow myself the indulgence of the books while I'm working out, then I can be sure that I will get back on the treadmill again tomorrow. Needing to know what happens next is probably enough. I wish I had discovered this sooner!

If you have an inactive job, what do you do to get (or keep) yourself moving?

1 comment:

  1. Between driving, sitting at the computer and crafting, I am sitting a great deal of the time. I, and my best bud, decided a year ago January that we needed to work out at Curves. Just a half an hour, three times a week - we really like it. In addition, we do yoga three to five times a week, for additional quiet time and stretching - very valuable.

    No, I haven't lost any weight, but I sure am a lot stronger and healthier! :-)

    ReplyDelete